Changing the oil: What is the most important thing you need to know?
If you take good care of your car, you can prevent a variety of failures, saving you both time and money. One of the most important nuances of vehicle maintenance is the changing of oil, which must always be done on time. However, people still follow certain beliefs that are, unfortunately, misleading. So, what is the most important thing you need to know about changing the oil?
Top 8 of the most popular myths about changing the oil
- Quite often it is thought that changing the oil is needed when the oil darkens, but this is not true. The change in color is a natural phenomenon, so it’s not really an appropriate indicator;
- It is also often believed that the interval for changing the oil can be determined visually. In fact, the interval for changing the oil is determined by the manufacturer, so it is important to follow the instructions;
- There is no universal term for changing the oil. In some vehicles, the oil needs to be changed less frequently, in others it needs to be changed more often, so it’s important to keep this in mind;
- Often people apply the rule “the more expensive, the better”, but this is certainly not the case. The most important thing is to follow the instructions in the car maintenance manual and to choose the most suitable oil accordingly;
- Sometimes drivers choose to mix different oils thinking it cannot do any harm, but in reality it can actually be very harmful;
- The suitability of the oil can also be checked at home, though quite often the opposite is assumed. It is enough to drop some oil on a newspaper: if it spreads out, the oil is ready to be used, and if a stable drop forms, it is a sign that the oil needs to be changed;
- Although it is often assumed that the oil in diesel engines needs to be replaced more frequently, this is not true – it depends not only on the quality of the fuel used, but also on the performance characteristics of the engine;
- Drivers quite often decide to use an energy-efficient oil because they simply think it is better than the regular one. However, this kind of oil is only suitable for engines designed for low-viscosity oil.
If you are not sure you are able to choose the right oil, seek the advice of a specialist that will not only choose the right product for you, but will also be able to change the oil.